We arrived at the fuel dock around 11:00am. So just about 4 hours.
Chowder from Salt Shack at Cedar Beach, which we did not have room for last night, hit the spot as we secured at our S-Dock home around 3:00pm.
Stiff breeze out of the NE pushing us into the bulkhead and pushing our bow hard to port. It will take a careful plan to get out of here! There is no calming of the wind forecasted later in the day.
We are now anchored in the cove, after an [almost] perfect departure from our windy slip.
1. Tied the two stern lines just looped around dock cleats and back so we could untie from the boat.
2. Warmed up the engine, idled into gear, pushing us off the bulkhead.
3. While in gear, but held in place by the two stern lines, I went up forward and untied all the lines to the pilings; brought them on board.
4. Still in gear, two stern lines holding us in place, the down wind stern line was observed to be slack and not doing anything. So, we untied it and brought it aboard too.
5. With only one line securing us to the dock, and the engine idling forward in gear, we had the owner of the boat next to us gently pay out that last line as we gradually exited the slip under control, but against a stiff breeze.
6. Just as he let go of that last line we started to be blown into his anchor / bow tackle. So I steamed ahead to clear his bow. Shelly was not ready for that, and was not sitting down. So, she fell, minor bumps and injuries.
So, we didn’t get an A+ for the maneuver. But it was otherwise pretty masterful.
Post Evaluation: Use a longer line for the last connection, so the dock mate paying out the line can keep some tension on the last line until we clear the boat downwind of us.
I wish I had this on video!
Not a bad back flip for 65 year old Tom!
I bet there is going to be a good sunset tonight!
We are anchored inside of the Sore Thumb all fogged in. The annual fireworks at Cedar Beach can be heard, but we cannot see them thru the fog. i
Lots of traffic on the Marine VHF radio channel 16. Fishing Boats and ferries all broadcasting their positions as they navigate through the fog.
We have been on an emotional roller coaster ride. Looking at boats, negotiating, getting under contract for TWO, and starting the full hull, systems, and engine survey process for one, only to be disappointed… we are exhausted, and wanted to simply go back to enjoying our boat again! Well, this weekend we succeeded.
Linda G. at the helm!
After dropping off Linda G and Valters at Bergen Point, we headed east to the Connetquot River, home of the Oakdale Marina Resort, Snapper Inn, and The View, all noteworthy establishments.
Marc of Precious Cargo succeeded in securing us two slips at Oakdale, right beside the live 8-piece band and dance floor! This well managed resort marina and “very happening place” proved to be a fantastic place to hang out with good friends and dock mates Colleen and Marc.
All this helped us overcome the mourning, anxiety, and disappointment of our roller coaster week!
Earlier in the week: This is the boat we came very close to owning:
But it did not pass the marine survey tests that we paid to have done before the sale. (It’s very much like buying a house.)
I don’t know who was the sadder, us or the sellers.
There isn’t a word that exists that can express the total reversal of our collective hope and excitement of the sale and purchase of a very nice boat!
Therefore, the For Sale signs were ordered “Removed!” from our beloved Shellerina by the admiral after the decision to forgo the purchase of the cruising boat we had our heart set on, a Mainship 350/390.
We realized there simply was not enough summer left to waste chasing our next boat.
“We now need to focus on enjoying the boat we already own!!!”
Thank you! to new friends, Linda G and Valters, and old friends, Colleen and Marc for helping us out!!!
I think we have recovered!